While any book in bad physical shape needs deleting (and possibly
replacing), you would want to look at age more critically in the (for
example) 320's and 360's than 390's unless that area gets a lot of
curricular use.

Actually, you'd be looking at the quality of information (dated,
authoritativeness) and the quality of presentation ( reading level,
fonts, illustrations, charts, index, etc).

I tend to do general weeding sweeps of information books, looking for
the most egregious books in all the areas. I try to buy so I can take a
bunch of books on a specific curriculum area to a dept meeting ('Here
are 20 new books on Drug and Alcohol').

A couple of years ago, Doug Johnson pointed out that good weeding not
only improves library use, but the usually inevitable empty shelves also
point to the level of lack of adequate support. Parents, teachers,
administration notice empty shelves more than shelves full of empty books.

Johnson, Doug. "Weed." _Library Media Connection_. Aug 2003: 124
and also available through Ebsco Prof. Collection

--
Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific MS