Deuker, Carl._Runner._Houghton Mifflin, 2005 [0-618-54298-1]
Chance is a HS student living with his alcoholic father on a
boat in the Puget Sound.  His father is always loosing jobs
and one day Chance is given the opportunity to deliver
packages on his running route.  He suspects he is delivering
drugs because the pay is so good .. but he (and his father)
need the money. Meanwhile he becomes interested in joining
the school newspaper and the head of the newspaper sees him
always stopping at the same place in his run and suspects
something.  One day the packages he delivers change.. then
his contact commits suicide driving off a cliff.  What can
he do?  Is he involved in more than drug smuggling now?
Deuker's books have always been popular with my students.
While this 216 page one is not centered on sports, I feel it
is Deuker's best yet.. suspense, mystery..ethics and so much
more.. Don't miss it.

 *****
Frederick Muller, Librarian
Halsted Middle School Library