A belated but heartfelt thanks to all you responded to my query about
keeping Native American literature that has been criticized for content and
accuracy on the shelves.  I have decided to weed the non-fiction collection
with an eye to accuracy, authenticity and currency.  For the most part I am
leaving the fiction section alone but will inform teachers about the
concerns raised about some of the books.

Here are the responses I received.

You know it's strange. This is my second year working on the Navajo
reservation (in 2 different schools). I too questioned some of the books
when I got here and saw them on the shelf (such as Indian in the
Cupboard). But in a all honesty I have not had a single complaint about
these books.  I probably wouldn't order them myself but they since they
are already here with no complaints.
Along with Oyate you may want to look into Salinas if you want books
that are possibly more accurate.
******
I know that many people would probably say to purge everything that
can possibly be considered offensive.  However, When I found myself in a
similar situation with a library that had not been well weeded in many
years, I decided that I needed to compromise.  I took the Oyate list along
with other information and checked out the nonfiction.  Most of it offended
me ( a white Anglo American) before I checked the weed lists.  So I weeded
nonfiction ruthlessly and purchased a lot of new, politically correct
nonfiction on Native Americans. The teachers and students really liked the
new books and I received no complaints about getting rid of the old
stuff.  I purchased some new fiction but didn't actually pull all the old
fiction titles.  When I attempted to do the same thing at another school I
had teachers practically foaming at the mouth because I was getting rid of
books they had been teaching with for 30 years!  The principal told me to
put them back in the collection.  I countered with the suggestion that they
could take them to their classrooms. I hated to do that but I was not about
to undiscard them.
********

I've been using the Oyate web site for many years.
Ironically, we have a Sarah Noble School in my
district!

I wouldn't take the questionable books off the
shelves, but I wouldn't use them for your unit either.
Instead, try to use books like the excellent Birch
Bark House by Louise Erdrich. There's also a fairly
recent book by Joseph Bruhac (sp) which I would
recommend.
**************
Some of these books are award-winners. The awards were given based on the
literary qualities of the books. But, if you look at other qualities, they
come up short for one reason or perhaps many. As a society, we have come a
long way in the way we think about Native Americans.

Take the word "squaw" for example. First, Most people know that squaw is a
derogatory word, but a lot don't know that, in the Native language from
which it originates, the word refers to a woman's genitals. Second, most
people know  that it was used as if it was the single, right word to use to
refer to all Native women, no matter where their people (tribe/nation/etc.)
were located. Still, it was used in COURAGE OF SARAH NOBLE, and SIGN OF THE
BEAVER (and other books, too). Let's separate the context here a bit---put
a little distance between us and the topic of those books. If you have a
book on your shelf that is offensive, will you remove it? Not likely. That
is a censorship issue, and libraries don't like to do that. If you have a
book that has incorrect or outdated content, do you remove it? I think the
answer is yes.

On the topic of factual info, the book by Marrin on Sitting Bull also has
many factual errors. Yet, it recently won an award. Ann Rinaldi's book, MY
HEART IS ON THE GROUND, has factual errors, too.

So, if today, we know it to be in accurate use of the word, do we remove it
from our shelves? It is offensive and inaccurate.
*******
I am personally of the opinion that the books should remain with a good deal
of notice given to students that these representations of Native Americans
are "inappropriate" or something to that effect.
Many of these books have long been considered well written in terms of the
author's ability to craft words. Now we know the negative effect of some of
those words and ideas.
Obviously, we don't remove every book from the library which portrays others
in a negative light... but we try to make sure that our students are tuned
into the hurt that some actions can cause others. Now we teach that some
books can cause others hurt as well.
Since I have just recently come across the site you mentioned, I'm working
on a packet for our 4th grade teachers who do a pretty extensive Native
American unit every fall. These ideas would be helpful to them.
********
Weed them out.  Oyate is a very reputable site.  The books you list contain
negative stereotyping and bias towards American Indians.
*********
I would not pull something that was well written just because it doesn't
meet one groups requirements. I would pair those books with things like Sees
Behind Trees, Morning Girl, or Guests by Michael Dorris or Ahyoka and the
talking leaves by Peter Roop. I would also use the books as a jumping off
spot for a discussion on how people's perceptions of history changes and how
styles of fiction also change over the years.
*******
I did at least get teachers to rethink using Sarah Noble as a class novel,
but I don't feel comfortable pulling them from the library.

Kate Summerlin
A.W. Cox School
summerlink@guilford.k12.ct.us
Libraries....places of buzzz, not shhhhhh!