I just received this email from a teacher looking for a book for a child....
please help!
Thanks in advance-
Sonja Schulz

I have a question from a student about a book.  He cannot remember the title.  It
is about a teenage boy and his family that moves to Texas during a war (?).  The
father goes off to fight in the war.  They have a slave that they treat very well
who also goes to fight in the war. There is also something in the story about
disappearing or invisible ink.  There is also a part where the boy kills a snake
crawling up to his baby sister and his mom thinks that he was trying to shoot his
sister.   I know this is vague, but I have faith in you!  This is not a story that
I am familiar with.  He would like to know the title and author if possible.

Sonja Schulz,
Librarian
MMMS
Nacogdoches, TX