I don't know the specifics of Findarticles.com's arrangements with the
magazines they search but there are free articles and pay articles.  I
would imagine their partners agree to make a certain number of articles
available for free in return for directing traffic toward pay articles
(but that is just a guess).

Any article in Wikipedia can be edited by any user at any time.  Many
articles are monitored by self-appointed, volunteer experts.  They are
alerted whenever an article on their topic is edited.  Most cases of
misinformation are corrected very quickly.  Most of these
editors/monitors know what they are talking about and do a good job.
But there is always the chance that your students will access an article
after some bozo has changed it and before a knowledgeable editor can
correct it.  Do you want to take that chance?

We use World Book Online.  It is a surprisingly good bargain (as I
imagine other online encyclopedias are).  It costs less than half of
what our periodical databases cost.  I think it is worth the investment.
----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury