Hi, I know that there was recently a topic of glorified babysitting in the
library being circulated; I am being asked to be a glorified babysitter outside
the library.  My principal has pulled from the library 14 days this year to sub
for classroom teachers.  It happened again today, and I spoke up and told her
the material I was going over with my classes that day was too important for
the students to miss.  She thinks I'm not being flexible enough and not
understanding that we're a specail school (choice) where we work together as a
team to help everyone out.  In an emergency situation I wouldn't mind filling
in, but 14 times this year is taking advantage of my time.  She tells me that
I'm only the librarian 50% of my time and a sub 10%, however none of my
paperwork says anything about 10% of my job being a substitute.  This piece of
information was also not given to me at my interview.  And because we're a
choice school, I don't have a contract and feel that I don't have a leg to
stand on.  My question is this:  Do any of you out there have to sub for other
teachers 10% of your time, or at all?  And secondly, does anyone have any
advice for me? (I am considering looking for other jobs already)
Thank You,

Alicia Gibb
Windlake Elementary Librarian
Milwaukee, WI