I agree with Cathy.  Let your K-1 check out at least 2 books AND, if possible,
encourage the teachers to allow your students to drop in to return those books when
they're finished and check out additional titles.  This may reduce your lost books
(because they return them to the library when they're finished and don't misplace
them waiting for the next library visit)--although I also realize that many schools
/ teachers don't allow students to return to the library after their first library
visit (at least that has been my experience).

Also, encourage them to check-out materials that aren't necessarily in the
electronic reading program.  Share with them the other materials that you have
available (not just fiction) and let their imaginations and interests guide them to
finding materials that they can read "for fun" after they've fulfilled their
initial AR book requirements.  While I realize that the students need to be guided
to books that they are able to read, be willing to allow them to choose books with
higher reading levels and encourage them (at check-out time) to ask their parents,
only is this a great way for parents to bond with their children (and know what
they're reading / or interested in) but it also provides a listening (read-aloud)
experience at home.

Another tactic that I've used with elementary students (K-3) is when they choose
books that are a little "too high" for them and I find that there are several
students who suddenly become interested in the subject (vampire bats, snakes,
dinosaurs, etc.) is to let the student know that I would like to use THEIR choice
in books for an upcoming "storytime" --- letting them know that their choice of
books is excellent and that I'd be interested in their opinion of the book.  While
most of the time, the "opinion" may be a cool photo or picture in the book that
they want to share during storytime, it usually creates a kid who wants to come
back to the library to share his "favorites" with the librarian (the new reader in
their life) and to talk books.  In addition, as students choose books that I've
read in other storytimes or plan to read in future storytimes, I let students know
that they've made a great choice and that I am planning to read (or have read) the
book that they are checking out.  Kids get all "smiley" when they find that their
book choices are the same as the librarian's and are able to share those great
books with an adult that isn't a teacher or parent.

Have fun....(I sometimes miss these little ones!)<grin>

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School