Brian:
Google Earth is very cool but students and teachers might also find it useful
to get info about the area you're looking at? Stores, census numbers, etc.

if you're interested in such a service (for the US) check out TerraFly. It's
been around for more than 5 years. Aerial images PLUS clicking  a point on
an image allows you to find all sorts of stats.

If you click again, say a block away, you'll get different
stats and info.

http://terrafly.fiu.edu

Here's an overview I wrote for Search Engine Watch.
http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050410-143555

cheers,
gary

p.s. Long before Google Earth exisited, NASA World Wind was doing much the
same thing. It's also a free service. They even have their own blog.

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/050405-121616

It also offers value added data. For example, you can place flags of every
country over its aerial image. Click and get country info.

Quoting Brian Regan <erhslib@YAHOO.COM>:

> Good morning -
> the folks at Google have done it again....  Check out
> Google Earth at http://earth.google.com/ .  There is a
> downloadable version of the program that I'm presently
> installing on all my student machines.
>
> This takes satellite maps to a whole new level, with
> the ability to search a location, see it in incredible
> detail (I could distinguish between the red and maroon
> Subarus sitting in my driveway at home...), add road
> labels, 3D buildings in major cities, tons of other
> details, even adjust the angle of view.  When you
> change locations, it zooms out to globe view & zooms
> back in. Really incredible stuff.  I just want to play
> with it all day.  I can't wait to show it to our
> teachers & kids.
>
> Enjoy,
> BR
>
> Brian Regan, Librarian & Webmaster
> East Rochester High School
> East Rochester, NY 14445
> Brian_Regan@er.monroe.edu
> bregan@rochester.rr.com
> www.erschools.org

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

> All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
> LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
> Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/sub/
> LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting

Visit The ResourceShelf
http://www.resourceshelf.com