After bringing up topic and problems / dangers of ratings, Brashares
posits that inappropriate material should be managed by a change in how
it is marketed.  I think she's a bit off on many of the assumptions and
how things work.

Of course, she takes a 'hot button' book as the sole example, so I'll
give a librarian's 'hot button' paragraph....

Under the Covers by Ann Brashares
"The result is that teenagers rarely set foot in young adult sections of
bookstores. The books that may be geared toward them in subject matter
circulate instead among younger readers. And teenage publishing itself
does not quite exist."

NYTimes OP-Ed
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/opinion/31brashares.html?pagewanted=2&n=Top%2fOpinion%2fEditorials%20and%20Op%2dEd>
URL should work for this week, then access will be $$ or database)
Looks like there will be a disscussion going at the Child_Lit list also.

--
Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA