As a hs librarian, I found a great reason to subscribe to databases.  During my
sabbatical in 2004, I worked at the reference desk at UNC-Charlotte.  I quickly
noted that most professors, esp. at the upper levels, did not permit general
Internet sources as research, and often did not allow articles from popular
journals.  Publish or perish still rules in academia and professors insist that
students are using the scholarly journals.

This was an eye-opening experience for me and now that I am back in at the hs
level, I've adjusted my teaching to reflect it.

Terry

Ms.Terry Morriston, Librarian
Peters Twp HS
264 E McMurray Rd
McMurray PA 15317
724/941-6250 x5230

>>> Brent Bradley <bsb_lib@YAHOO.COM> 08/30/05 4:48 PM >>>
I'd like to suggest that on the face of it, there's no good reason why you're not
right, and we need to be sure that databases are better than the web, or we're
guilty of not doing our jobs.

How about you do a simple test with some of your students: five use these "general
databases" (what exactly are those, by the way?) and five use whatever search
engines etc they can find. Then compare results after a set period of time. If
there is no difference, then drop whatever "general databases" you're paying for,
and PLEASE let us all know what these are that are no better than JeevesYahooGoogle
or whatever.

Floyd <calaf@CHARTER.NET> wrote:
At the risk of being simplistic or argumentative, why do school library
media centers need to continue subscribing to general databases for
student research? Databases with specialized information continue to
have a niche, but could it not be argued for the run of the mill
research paper, students can and do find quality information without
sifting through five different databases?

Floyd

Floyd Pentlin
-----
Region III Director, American Association of School Librarians
Adjunct Professor, Library Science Faculty, Central Missouri State
University
----
ANSWER MACHINE/FAX: 660.747.0683 - E-MAIL: calaf@charter.net
----
"I need a pencil sharpener," said Tom bluntly."

In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
3) SET LM_NET MAIL 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST * Allow for confirmation.

***
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social
transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence
of the good people."
--Martin Luther King
***
Brent Bradley, LMS at Valley View Community & Henry Wilson Memorial in Farmington,
NH
bsb underscore lib at yahoo dot com

http://mail.yahoo.com