Thanks to all who posted hits on middle/high school library décor.

**********************************

How about student artwork?  Have a poster contest and display the entries?

Louise Colette Leonard
Martin J. Gottlieb Day School Library
Jacksonville Jewish Center
Jacksonville, FL
Lleonard@ssdsjax.net

**********************************
I inherited an ugly, plain library last year and worked like mad to make it
something more interesting and colorful.  I ended up buying kites online at
www.kittyhawk.com - they have some that are very inexpensive and look great.
I think I bought 5 for about $90.00.  I also pick up mobiles and sun
catchers to hang from the ceiling - you can find them cheap in the fall.

I went to local bookstores (if you have a college campus that's where
they're cheap) for posters.  I went for art posters mostly and if I come
across a poster about reading that isn't for elementary then I snatch it up!

Also, I purchased cheap tapestries for the walls to cover lots of space.  I
know Bed Bath & Beyond has some nice ones and they're only $20.00.  I just
added eyelets and strung them up with fishing line.

If someone does lead you to fun HS age library posters, please let me know!

I don't know if it will help, but I'm attaching a picture of some of the
"stuff" I added.  Good luck!

Kristy Sandel, Librarian
Mason High School
Mason, Michigan

**********************************
I'm a new middle school librarian.  I recently ordered 6 ALA celebrity READ
posters for our school library.  Since I teach a class of 7th graders, I
printed out about 15 READ posters that I thought might be appealing to them.
I then passed the printouts around the class and had each student write
"yes" or "no" in response to whether or not they'd like to see that poster
on the library walls.  The two first place winners were L.L. Cool J. and
Missy Elliott (both rappers).  Serena Williams, Tony Hawk, Jason Kidd and
Salma Hayek also had high scores. I'm not sure if it matters but I thought
that I'd mention that the demographic of my school is low income, inner city
and Hispanic.

I also asked their opinion on Target bean bags.  They unanimously voted for
the L-shaped bean bags over the traditional round ones.  They were a
reasonable 19.99 each, so I bought six of those.

While I can't say how any of these have gone over since they haven't arrived
yet, I'm at least purchasing posters and furniture that they voted on and
seemed excited about.

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Davinna Artibey
Horace Mann Middle School