Dear LM_NET friends,

I left New Orleans this morning at dawn and am in Baton Rouge with my sister.  I
left as I was fearful for my safety.  Massive looting, no power.

The French Quarter is in tact, but looting has hit Canal Street (the main downtown
street), etc.  As it gets worse so will the situation.

There was no flooding in the French Quarter.  If you know Coleen Salley: she flew
to Hawaii last Friday for a vacation.  She was supposed to return to New Orleans
Labor Day night.  I have heard from her daughter Genevieve and have advised G to
tell Coleen there is no reason to come home.

The infrastructure in New Orleans and the surrounding parishes is collapsing
rapidly…it’s worse than news reports.  As I was leaving this AM there were car
hijacking, prisoners loose, police shootings, etc.

Supposedly the National Guard is going in today.

On a bright now, there was some amazing examples of man’s humanity:  I passed
dozens of convoys of medical troops, boats, police, etc. ..over 1000 vehicles from
all over the country traveling along Interstate 10 from Baton Rouge to New Orleans.
 As the FEMA officials said, they have never planned for something of this
magnitude.

The supt of schools doesn’t expect Jefferson Parish Schools to open until December
1st, at the earliest.

More once I get caught up.  Thanks for all your prayers and best thoughts.

Terry

--
Terrence E. Young,Jr.,M.Ed., M.L.S.