    I understand your point, and you are correct: he could have simply changed the
information on Wikipedia. He would not, however, have been able to change the
information on Answers.com or Reference.com. But simply changing the text would not
have erased the erroneous information. Wikipedia saves previous posts, allowing
users to see the history of the site and see what edits have been made. Beyond
that, what is the potential negative to not being able to discover the identity of
this person? According to the article (and I'm not sure this isn't true), the
original creator cannot be tracked. If that is true, anyone can slander anyone on
Wikipedia with no fear of retribution. Perhaps this person simply knows well how to
cover up their tracks. Perhaps with enough resources (money) anyone could be
tracked. I simply don't know, but the story is chilling. I am concerned that the
ability to slander has the potential to be a fatal flaw for this type of site. It
must be addressed.

  "Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder why this guy
didn't change his bio when he saw it was false???   Isn't
that the point of a wiki?
Monica Williams-Mitchell
Seton High School
Cincinnati, OH
wmitchellm@setoncincinnati.org"

***
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social
transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence
of the good people."
--Martin Luther King
***
Brent Bradley, LMS at Valley View Community & Henry Wilson Memorial in Farmington,
NH
bsb underscore lib at yahoo dot com

Yahoo! Shopping