But it could have just as easily been replaced with the same bad
version, even by another person.

The real issues are how Wikipedia implies a level of authoritativeness
to its users and at the same time assumes virtually no level of control
on its 'information'. While they bump off an occasional known vandal, or
work with an especially irate citizen, they also acknowledge that there
are "Notable Weaknesses of Wikipedia"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Researching_with_Wikipedia#Notable_weaknesses_of_Wikipedia>

The most telling quotes?:
 "Unlike other encyclopedias, the volunteer writers of articles in
Wikipedia do not need to be experts or scholars"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Who_writes_Wikipedia>

:The guidelines should encourage better "quality" sources."
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Forum_for_Encyclopedic_Standards#Referencing_in_Wikipedia_articles>

Why do they feel it important to highlight quality?

Then it is exacerbated by companies like answers.com pulling the
information from 'pedia, adding a disclaimer of non-responsibility (You
understand and agree that the Content is provided "AS-IS"
http://www.answers.com/main/legal_notices.jsp) , and promoting
themselves as a quality resource for research and selling the service.

Sorta like those urban legends, strawman arguments, or 'did you see what
(latest political news) said' blogs and emails: You know to check
something authoritative enough to verify it before passing it on.  When
would 'pedia be considered authoritative enough to pass muster for your
information needs?

Robert Eiffert
Librarian, Pacific MS  Vancouver WA
pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu
Librarian in the Middle Blog: www.beiffert.net  robert@beiffert.net

It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.  -Eugene Ionesco