I promised to give the answers for the In What Book questions I posted
last week, and here they are, a bit belatedly. (Just got back from a week
on the road doing all-day BER--Bureau of Education & Research--seminars
in NC, SC, FL, and GA. I'm exhausted--slept 11 hours last night!
But what a great week--barnstormed the South in a huge gray Hummer!
Certainly not my usual means of transportation...)

I hope you had fun with the list. How many did you know?
Now have your students write new questions for books they've read.

In what book...
(From Judy Freeman's forthcoming Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3)

1. Does a substitute teacher, Miss Viola Swamp,
take over for a nice, sweet teacher when her students
refuse to pay attention in class?

2. Does teacher, Miss Jewls, push a computer out of
the classroom window to show her students how gravity works?

3. Does a young mouse become so enraged when her adored teacher,
Mr. Slinger, confiscates her belongings, that she declares,
"I do not want to be a teacher when I grow up!"
and slips a mean picture into his bookbag?

4. Does the Springfield librarian, Molly McGrew, by mistake drive her
bookmobile into the zoo, and get all of the animals reading?

5. Did Gloria Houston's relative teach for 57 years in a one-room
schoolhouse?

6. Are 10-year-old Fred and all the other students in their
one-room schoolhouse in a remote Alaskan village astonished
by their new lady teacher, who wears pants, plays opera records,
and reads Robin Hood aloud to the class?

7. Does a book-loving lady come to the rescue of her TV-loving town after
a big storm knocks out the power for two weeks, and capture the heart of
biker and non-reader, Bust-'em'up Bill?

8. Does Flora, a mouse, who learns to read from watching the children from a
hole
above the kindergarten teacher's desk, find that reading can save your life?

9. Does Lucas Cott's teacher send a note home telling his parents he is
obstreperous, which he thinks means he's going to become a baby doctor?

10. Does Mrs. Pigeon's new student, just moved to town from China,
tell her second grade class five outrageous stories about herself,
one each day for a week, and claim they are all absolutely true?

11. Does the school's headmaster, the wicked Miss Trunchbull,
make life tough for a little girl with extraordinary powers of levitation?

12. Does Trish suffer in reading class all through school until fifth grade,
when she encounters a patient and dedicated teacher who finally teaches her
to read?

13. Are the three ill-fated Baudelaire orphans sent to Prufrock Prep,
a dreadful boarding school whose motto is "Memento Mori"
(Latin for "remember you will die")?

14. Does a teacher, preparing to retire after fifty years at Knickerbocker
Elementary in the town of Up Yonder, ask her students to help her clear out
all
of her accumulated plants, books, papers, and even a full-grown Ruby Red
apple
tree so sweet, young Miss Bumblesprout can take over in the fall?

15. Is a born troubleaker and orphan sent to the Hebrew Home for Boys
in Harlem, from which he sneaks outside after dark, and is
befriended by an elderly fortune teller?

16. Does a sixth-grader lose her notebook--
Her Notebook that Contained Everything She Needed to Live--
on the same day that her flaky grandmother, Irene, comes to spend
Senior Citizen's Day at Our Lady of Mercy Middle School?

17. Is a little sister determined to go along with her five brothers
to attend a school run by Quakers for former slaves, even
though they have to walk seven miles to get there?

18. Does Nick Allen defy his fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Granger, who reveres
the dictionary, when he insists on using the word he invented as a synonym
for "pen."

ANSWER KEY: IN WHAT BOOK?: CHILDREN'S BOOKS ABOUT SCHOOL
1.Wayside School Is Falling Down by Louis Sachar
2.Miss Nelson Is Missing by Harry Allard
3.Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
4.Wild About Books by Judy Sierra
5.My Great Aunt Arizona by Gloria Houston
6.The Year of Miss Agnes by Kirkpatrick Hill
7.Library Lil by Suzanne Williams
8.The School Mouse by Dick King-Smith
9.Class Clown by Johanna Hurwitz

10.Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry
11. Matilda by Roald Dahl
12. Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco
13.The Austere Academy by Lemony Snicket
14.Mrs. McBloom, Clean Up Your Classroom by Kelly DiPucchio
15. Dave at Night by Gail Carson Levine
16.Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day by Gary Paulsen
17.Virgie Goes to School with Us Boys by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard
18.Frindle by Andrrew Clements

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Author of the forthcoming Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
  (Libraries Unlimited, 2005; www.LU.com/winners)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com