In preparation for a presentation on librarians and our NYS exams, I went
through the EBSCO Host - available free through NOVEL -- and created a
document listing which magazines in EBSCO Primary Search have articles
available in .pdf format.

These are articles that can be used to help students practice reading
non-fiction, read and interpret charts and graphs, interpret pictures,
etc -- all the things the state exams ask. (I find these good not only for
the lower grades, but for high school students as well)

Because attachments are not allowed on LM_NET, you'll need to access it
through the webpage I set up for the presentation.
http://www.hhslibrary.org/boces.html  In the "select your topic" menu, go
to"magazines in PDF in NOVEL".

two notes:
1- To access these, go through the MASTER FILE link, then unclicking Master
File and clicking on Primary Search. Search by publication, and then you can
search within a publication.
2 - Even though EBSCO says that all the articles within a given time frame
are in pdf format, sometimes you'll find an article only in HTML/text :-(

Feel free, while you're on the presentation page, to take a look at some of
the other things that help us make a connection between what we do and those
lovely state exams (the page was set up for a presentation with elementary
school people, but there's a lot there for everyone)

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
Bayard Rustin HS for the Humanities
351 W. 18th Street
New York, NY 10011