Hi, All,

  Doug Achterman of San Benito HS, CA sent me a "heads-up" about this lesson plan
that is based on the brouhaha about the Seigenthaler "biography" in Wikipedia.

  And, here is Seigenthaler's editorial from USA Today:
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2005-11-29-wikipedia-
edit_x.htm?POE=click-refer>

  This is certainly a "teachable moment."  I teaach my students that Wikipedia is
OK for very recent topics but even those have a  "Let the Buyer Beware" quality.
Using the term "fact-checkers" related to Wikipedia might just get the idea across
that one must be wary.

  This is helpful, Sara Kelly Johns

  THE NEW YORK TIMES LEARNING NETWORK LESSON PLAN
URL:http://www.nytimes.com/learning/

TODAY'S LESSON PLAN:
ACTIVE READING: Learning to Think Like Fact Checkers

BASED ON THE ARTICLE:
Snared in the Web of a Wikipedia Liar, By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE,December 5,
2005

AUTHOR(S):
Tanya Yasmin Chin, The Bank Street College of Education in New York City
Sierra Prasada Millman, The New York Times Learning Network

GRADES:
6-8
9-12

SUBJECTS:
American History
Language Arts
Media Studies
Technology

Lake Placid Middle/Senior HS LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson