Thanks to Troy for that very thorough hit about messy shelves.

I just want to add that I got the idea from this group 3 or 4 years ago to
make shelf markers from the plastic covers of spiral notebooks. I got
double for my money that way by cutting up the covers for the shelf
markers and then also having the notebooks to use for checkout when I
can't get to the computer.

The amazing thing about these shelf markers is that they are
indestructible and (this is the really amazing part!) they don't show
dirt! I know those things have to be filthy and they still look almost as
good as the day I put them out. Some of them have creases from being bent
where the kids have tried to tear them up, but they cannot tear them or
break them. They have really been cost efficient and sturdy. And they
didn't take long to make with a paper cutter (rotary kind).

My only mistake was to use really cute stickers on them so the kids are
constantly digging through the can looking for a certain sticker! Next
time they will just have the letters of the alphabet on them or something
like that!

Again, I got the idea from someone on this list and I thank you!

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School
Hillsboro, TN 37342
dickinsonn@k12coffee.net