I missed the origina target, but this works so well, I decided to leap in there and
reply.  I make laminated name shelf markers from construction paper at the
beginning of the year.  I use them to assign seats when the students come to
research.  This does take a lot of prep time, but it is sooo worth it.  I have
adult volunteers who pull the shelf markers (kept by grade) for classes.  Between
periods, I put the shelf markers on the tables.  The students enter and find their
name.  It keeps the students from sitting with their friends, sets the tone for the
class, and gives me names to help me  learn their name.  The students use the shelf
markers to get a book.  It is easy to see if they don't use it and if a shelf
marker is left on the shelf it has the student's name on it, so one can easily
correct the error by finding the student.  It is really worth the work.  Try it,
you'll like it.

Janet Johns johnsj@pt-sd.org
Librarian
Peters Twp. Middle School