  Dear LM_NETTERS,

  It seems I am not the only one interested in making a board! A HIT has been
requested, so I have attempted to compile the sources I have been sent. Someone
even set me a HIT he received a while back- but some of those good ideas can be
found here. I do not remember if it is here, but there is a "Worthless Word of the
Day" site at http://home.nyc.rr.com/wwftd that is fun, and the Oxford Reference
link (it is down there somewhere) and www.greatauk.com I highly recommend for 7-12.

  Have Fun!

  --Kim Thatcher

I used to have a trivia contest.   For inspiration, I would page

through

the World Almanac.  I also looked up the month in World Book for

interesting facts.  Of course, the answers to these questions - what is

December's flower? Name a famous jazz musician born on Dec. 6, etc can

be

found in a number of sources.  I also asked questions about the library

-

name 2 science magazines available in this library, where do you exit

during a fire drill if you are in the library?,  tell me the name of a

painting by Jacob Lawrence ( I have a poster of "The Library" on

display)

It was weekly - turn in your answer sheet by the end of lunch on

Friday.

I would do a little drawing out of all the correct answers and announce

it

at the end of Friday.  Small prizes - pencils,"fun"  candy bars.

You might try buying a version of trivial pursuit. Some are available

at

garage sales. Special versions are available at Wal-Mart. Then you

would

have tons to pick and choose from.

  Hi.  I do a weekly trivia for students and staff that consists of ten questions.
When I began doing this last year, I was using questions from Xrefer.  They send me
a weekly thematic quiz (subscribe @ http://www.xrefer.com/news/index.jsp?m=23).
What I discovered, however, is that the kids could somehow find all the answers to
the quiz even though xrefer is a subscription database to which we do not
subscribe.  Once I discovered this, I started mixing the questions up.  At first
from different xrefer quizzes and then I started adding questions from other
sources because it still seemed too easy to find the answers.  I use questions from
several sources now.  Some come from radio broadcasts I hear or news that I read;
some come from a book I purchased from Scholastic, Family Flip Quiz, isbn
1842361600, some from Michael Feldman's whad'ya know? radio quiz,
http://notmuch.com/Show/ and some from trivia sites I find via Google.  I wish the
databases would create these kinds of
 questions and use them for training and teaching materials!  I will say that
despite my best efforts to encourage database use, the students and staff are very
successful finding the answers to the questions via the internet.  I suppose I
could require that they list the database they used to find the answer for each
question, but I am pleased with the level of participation and if I can improve
their search engine skills maybe all value to the exercise is not lost!  I give
small prizes to one weekly winner chosen from among all the correct entries.

When I worked at the high school, my library assistant made up trivia

questions for the month of February.  My recommendation would be to pick

a theme per week or month.

Good luck!

Have you tried Knowledge Master's website (http://www.greatauk.com)?

You can sign up to have a trivia question e-mailed to you every day

if you'd like (and they even remind you to shut down for summer ;-).

We do this by email for Upper School students and all faculty/staff (we

are a PK-12 school, but I am in the Upper School Library).

* Students must answer in person, and faculty/staff may answer by

email.

* Any resource is allowed, as are multiple guesses!

* We collect names of those who answer correctly all day (until the

library closes at 5). This procedure makes sure we aren't favoring

those

who have first period free!

* The next morning, we put the names in two cups (students and

faculty/staff) and draw a daily winner from each.

* At the end of each month we put the names of all the daily winners

(again, two drawings) and draw a winner for the month. These people get

$5 gift certificate to the local ice cream shop.

Finding Trivia:

We find trivia questions everywhere– the news, movies, books about fun

facts, quotations (who said?), birth dates (born 300 years ago today, I

invented...)

Be sure to conduct a search for the answer yourself! Once in a while a

question/answer is difficult to find, incorrect, or the answer you have

is

only a partial answer. We are very flexible-- if they can show us where

they found an alternate answer (and it answers the question) we accept

it.

* You can get the Oxford Reference Fact of the Day by subscribing here:

http://oxfordreference.com/pub/views/fact-of-the-day-subscribe.html

* Knowledge Master Question of the Day: subscribe here

http://greatauk.com/qodsubscribe.html

* Mental Floss library has lots of fun facts that can be turned into

trivia questions

http://www.mentalfloss.com/library_by_subject.htm

* Trivia Cafe: this site is not as finely-tuned as it once was, so

check

the answers!

http://www.triviacafe.com/

* Trivia Collections; again, you need to turn most of these facts into

questions

http://www.corsinet.com/trivia/

Director of Information Center (and p/t French teacher)
The Knox School
541 Long Beach Rd.
Saint James, NY 11780
www.knoxschool.org
alt. e-mail: kthatcher@knoxschool.org

He who has a garden and a library, wants for nothing- Cicero
Dogs have masters, cats have staff- Sneaky Pie Brown