About twenty people responded to my request for opinions on weeding the
Encyclopedia Brown books.   About half of respondents see limited use and would
agree they could be weeded, but others keep them because a "teacher read" heightens
interest and they get read.

One person has moved them (either physically or in name only) to historical fiction.

Someone suggested a "couple of fun lessons .. on the Encyclopedia Brown books so
they remain an active part of my collection. There are also some E. B. videos the
kids like. You stop the video and let the kids try to guess the mystery. "

Many suggested that I  purchase some newer editions -covers have been redone, etc.

Although some respondents said the format is appealing to many readers, someone
also said they "wish they were all complete stories, not short vignettes."

However, someone suggested "another similar series that has a more recent
publication date is Einstein Anderson, by Seymour Simon."

Maybe mine will move to the middle school library and get more use.  Or, I still
might weed.

Marcia Dressel

K-5 Librarian,

Osceola, WI