On a side note:  One of O. Henry's homes is in Austin, Texas and it's a unique and
very quaint tour of a literary figure's lifestyle.  If you're in Austin, Texas
(near 6th street), ask about the location of O. Henry's home-- (it's being
protected as a small, quaint Victorian style one-story with a cute garden all
amidst tall buildings, bus stops, construction, and the University of Texas---not
something you'd expect to find downtown, but they are saving it for us to
see)---it's a free tour and for those who love "The Gift of the Magi" and other
O.Henry stories, it's a treat!

(I made my three kids tour the home this past summer---the older two recalled the
story of "Gift of the Magi"---but didn't seem impressed with the experience at the
time. However, I think they'll appreciate the visit when they're older---as we all
appreciate those experiences from childhood later when we realize the significance.
 But you'll appreciate it now...so if you're in Austin, don't forget to stop by!)

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX

"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing
the impossible."
 ~St. Francis of Assisi
sbrisco@fwcds.org
http://www.fwcds.org/campus/libraries/default.asp
>>> Betty Rendino <l0x6@YAHOO.COM> 12/12/05 11:30 PM >>>
  100th anniversaries occurring in 2006:
  April 10, 1906 * "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry was first published.
  April 13, 1906 * Birthday of the playwright and novelist Samuel Beckett.
  May 9, 1906 * Birthday of author Eleanor Estes, West Haven, CT.
  May 23, 1906 * Death of playwright, Henrik Ibsen
  May 29, 1906 * Birthday of T. H. White, Bombay, India.
  June 22, 1906 * Birthday of writer and aviator Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Englewood,
NJ.
  July 18, 1906 * Birthday of playwright Clifford Odets, Philadelphia, PA.
  September 27, 1906 * Birthday of crime novelist Jim Thompson, Anadarko, Oklahoma.
  September 30, 1906 * Birthday of mystery writer Michael Innes, Edinburgh.
  December 8, 1906 * Birthday of novelist/playwright Richard Llewellyn.
Pembrokeshire, Wales.
  Novelist Jack London, born in San Francisco in 1876, published "White Fang" in
1906.
  Novelist Upton Sinclair, born in Baltimore in 1878, wrote his novel "The Jungle"
in 1906.

  Nintieth anniversaries:
  June 24, 1916. * Birthday of poet JOHN CIARDI, Boston, MA.

  Fiftieth anniversaries:
  March 27, 1956 * Birthday of author T. R. Pearson, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
(1956).
  December 7, 1956 * Birthday of Susan Minot, Boston, MA

  Twenty-fifth anniversaries:
  May 18, 1981 * Death of Writer William Saroyan, born 1908 in Fresno, California.

Betty Rendino, Librarian
Jericho Elementary School
Jericho, VT
l0x6@yahoo.com