Here are 3 responses I got about software for a high school english
department.  If I get any more, I will post another hit.

My teachers (9-12) love Perfect Copy.  I don't think it is called that
anymore but something like Accelerated Grammar.  It is made by
Renaissance
Learning and the teachers love it.  The students are given passages
with
errors that they must correct.  Reports are printed and grades are
given.
There is total silence when they work on this as the students are
concentrating so hard to find the errors.  I think it is like the ACT
which a lot of students take in their Junior and Senior year.  Good
luck.

I'd like to recommend that you look into purchasing a site license for
"Inspiration".

They really don't use much software other than
the normal- word, research databases etc.  BUT, there is a new tool
out
there that we are piloting this year with Sr paper kids.  It's called
Turbo Tools.  Put out by the Big6 company.  It is a self contained
research and project organizer that includes a works cited generator,
word program(kind of), etc.  So far most of the kids really like that
it
keeps all their research contained in one place for them, automates
note
cards for highlighting as they research and cites the sources as they
enter the information.

http://www.big6turbotools.com/features/index.html

That's really the only one I can think of.  There isn't a lot out
there
for HS English :(

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)