This year I purchased graphic novels and manga series and they have become
extremely popular with the students. I keep the books behind the circulation desk
to prevent students walking off without checking the books out. Students tend to
read them quickly, checking out one and bringing it back the next morning so they
can read the next in the series.

  I don't allow students to check out more than one at a time (though I encourage
them to check out other books at the same time) except before a weekend or holiday
when I will allow them to check out two. Yesterday three of the kids told me that
they wouldn't be coming to school today -- the last day of school before the
holiday -- so they asked if I would allow them to check out two that day. I refused
and stuck to my guns despite the whining about how mean I was.

  All three of them were in the library first thing this morning so they could
check out the two books.

  Jan Davies
  Laurel High School
  Laurel, Maryland