I use the World Almanac for Kids version. With the third graders I just introd. the
table of contents, have them sit in a circle, turn to the birthday page and have
them go around in the circle and say when their birthday is and what famous person
was born on that day. They love it. Then I show them the website
www.worldalmanacforkids.com  I'm sure it would work just as well w/4th grade.
Our fourth graders study US regions in SS and have to do the state reports. During
March for "Read Across America" I give them a blank map of the US and they have to
use the Almanac to fill in the states. Extra credit if they put the capitals in,
too. Then anytime they read a book set in that state they color in the state.
Person (in each class) w/the most states colored in by the end of April gets a
prize (free ice cream, pick from prize box, paperback book, etc. )

Judy Finucane
Library Media Teacher
Griswold Elementary School
Griswold, CT 06351
jfinucan@griswold.k12.ct.us
(860)376-7610
>>> Emily Peterson <k2ree@HOTMAIL.COM> 01/31/05 22:48 PM >>>
Hello all,

Our middle school LMS does a great Almanac activity with her fifth graders.
I am looking for some fun ideas to expose our fourth graders to the almanac,
so they will be prepared for middle school.  If interested I will post a
hit.

Thanks so much,
Emily Peterson
LMS