To date I have had about 20 student librarians in Graduate MLS programs..Of
those, I have passed 15 - and failed 5 that I can remember. I would say if
you have any doubts about doing it - don't. It is tons of work and will
require considerable effort on your part. I will have another student
teacher next month and looking forward to it.

In the past (and for the new one next month) I have had them:

catalog (I have 600 CDs that need cataloging currently)
teach several classes (after planning with teacher)
shadow me for several days
plan displays
do book talks
completely run the library (discipline, clerical, passes, etc) after I
observe               her/him several times. I totally disappear so the
students can't find me -            that  would defeat the purpose.
Speak of his/her library philosophy at a faculty meeting
Work one-on-one with students doing reading guidance and reference
Work with students on computers
Lead the prayer before each class (obviously only in my current school)
Discuss his/her work performance/philosophy/abilities with college contact
Discuss the need to belong to ALA/NYLA and local library organizations
Use Mandarin - enter records/handle circulation desk
Work with students in library club - teach them new activities/monitor their
work
Spend time with teachers asking them what they seek from librarians
Review some of the titles nominated for my ALA Popular Paperbacks for
YA Committee and give me input
Do a self evaluation - strengths and weaknesses
Have fun

And yes, I have had many student librarians who were male - and yes, I have
also worked with several male librarians on the elementary level.

Allan

PS let me know if I can help you

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo (Brother Donogh Allan, MGC)
Bishop Kearney High School Library
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617

585-342 - 4000 x231
585-342 - 4694  (FAX)

acuseo@bkhs.org

Education in the tradition of the Christian Brothers and the School Sisters
of Notre Dame
FAC OMNIA BENE (Do all things well)

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: The information contained in this
electronic transmission, and any documents attached hereto, may contain
confidential information that is legally privileged and confidential. The
information is intended only for the use of the recipients (s) named above.
If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the
sender and delete the electronic message. Any disclosure, copying,
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of the
information received in error is strictly prohibited.