Thank you all very much for the many e-mails you sent to me with
information and advice about getting a hotel for ALA.  A few people
asked me to pass on any information I received and I think I can quickly
summarize it here.

1)  Don't get a hotel near the McCormick Center exhibits hall.  While
some meetings may be there, many will be in the hotels, and there are
few restaurants near the exhibit hall.  Some also felt that was not the
safest area to stay in.

2)  Forget booking a room at the ALA hotels, the ALA blocks have been
full for weeks.  (oops!)

3)  Many use online discount services to get good prices, but suggest
reading any reviews there might be on those sites by previous users.

4)  Stay downtown and use the Gale Shuttles.... be prepared for long
waits, because the distance is pretty good between downtown and the
exhibits.

Good luck to all who have procrastinated like me!
Chris

Christine Findlay, CRC Director
Centerville City Schools
105 Virginia Ave.