I got permission to pass this email on to you. The young man's wife works at
my school.

Date:    Sun, January 30, 2005 11:54 am
To:

Hello all,
Just wanted to drop a line and let you all know that the elections here in
Iraq have exceeded all expectations. Thousands came out to vote. Iraqi and
coalition forces had the entire country on pretty much lock down, no cars
were allowed to drive at all. This was done because of all the car bombs
that have been taking place. There were still attacks at some of the
polling stations but not like is what was expected.  Quite a few rockets
and mortars fired at us. We were out all night last night and all day
today defusing and taking apart bombs found on the roads and at poling
stations. Been a long day!  I wish the american public and the rest of the
world could have seen the people walking down the streets (thousands)going
to vote,  giving us the thumbs up and waving like crazy! It was Great!
Most of the women that we saw coming out of the polling stations were
crying tears of Joy. By seeing what i saw today i believe the iraqi people
really believe that we want democracy for them. I think lifted all the
troops watching the people dancing and waving in the streets as we drove
by. Before today it was mostly the kids that would wave and give us the
thumbs up, But today it was everyone. THis wont be the end of the
insurgency, it is going to take time. The iraqi people are starting to
trust the iraqi army and the police, and they are really starting to step
up to the plate. The iraqi security forces did an outstanding job today.
They were everywhere.  Most of the attacks today were claimed by Al
Qaedia.
Well it is almost 10pm so i better get going, sure tomorrow or tonight
will call! Take care!
Wayland

Sandra Carswell, Librarian
Lovett Ledger Intermediate