Has anyone switched from an Internet acceptable use policy where you must
sign it before using the Internet to an opt out policy where the parents
sign only if they DON'T want their kids to use the Internet. Currently the
students and parents sign an AUP and receive training and a sticker on their
library card. We have a few logistical questions regarding a policy of this
type for a Middle School/High school:

How often does this policy get signed? Every year, just when changing
buildings?

Do parents check off yes/no or are the papers returned only if a parent does
not want to give permission? (I can see high school students "forgetting" to
return a paper that says no).

Also, if you have a copy of such a policy could you send me a copy? If we go
with this option we will have to completely rewrite our AUP.

Thanks

--
Stephanie Sweeney
Librarian