As a former English teacher, I know the curriculum is often death and
depression--but frankly, serious writers usually write about serious issues.  The
parents who are complaining probably studied the same kinds of serious works in
their youth. I don't remember anything even slightly humorous from my college or
high school days.  Often any humor in the English curriculum comes from short
stories or works with irony.  Most English teachers at the high school level feel
that a work that the whole class reads needs to be of sufficient import and
challenge to be worthy of spending lots of class time on in a close reading.  YA is
wonderful and works great in literature circles and independent reading as most of
these books can be read by most high school students without the necessity of
guided reading by the teacher.  But lots of YA is problem oriented and depressing,
too.  I noted that the list of YA that  was suggested contained some pretty serious
stuff--for instance His Dark Materials.  We are talking killing God here--not light
stuff--but certainly a book that could benefit from lots of class discussion, but
might be highly objectionable to many parents as a whole class selection.

Notice:  This e-mail may contain confidential information belonging to the sender
which is privileged.  The information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any
action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, delete it without copying it and
immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail.  Thank you.
<<<< GWAVASIG >>>>