Original question:
Our school is doing an enrichment unit in May on the 50 states and I am interested
in ordering the State Alphabet Books from Sleeping Bear Press. Before we spend that
much money on a set of books, I would like to know if anyone has these and if they
are worth the money. I will post a HIT if anyone is interested.

Thanks so much for all the responses. I have decided to order the set.

Dana Burton, Librarian
Stewart Elementary
Huntsville, TX

You may be interested to know that teachers' guide are available online for this
series.

I have some of these books, and I do like them.  But I would certainly say that
these are not the kind of book that you would want to buy if you don't have a new
set of state books as your primary source of information.  Don't get me wrong, the
illustrations are beautiful and they're nice, but they are definitely more eye
candy than substance.  Here in Missouri, our state reports occur in fourth grade.
And while I like the books, I made sure that I had a new state set (I bought World
Almanac's state set) first.

I only have the Y is for Yellowhammer book but am very pleased with it.  I noticed
that you can also get teacher's guides.  I looked at the one for the Alabama book
and it looks good.  Just based on that one book, I would recommend the series.

We have the N is for Nutmeg as we are a Connecticut school and I love it - if I had
the money I would buy the set

I don't have the entire set yet, but I really like the format and the information
in these books that is about the state, but not the traditional state flag, state
flower, state blah blah blah.  I would say yes to buying them.

We have the B is for Buckeye one for Ohio. It is great!

We have multiple copies of the Pennsylvania book. Great book and right on target
for our state. X is the only letter I have an issue with, but don't we usually have
a problem with X (they used .."X marks the spot on the map where you'll see
Philadelphia...").  I'd buy it again.

I have purchased the books that fit in with our curriculum here in N.J.  I find
they are very well done and the pictures are bright and colorful.  On the Sleeping
Bear Pr. website they have activities for many of their books.

I am at a middle school, and I bought my first book about our state--P Is for
Palmetto.  My entire faculty fell in love with it.  I have been purchasing them
along and along, and they are a great hit.  A few of the first of the series seemed
a little "light" to me, but for the most part they are great.  We teach geography
here at the 7th grade level, so they are used for extra reading.  I am currently
adding tests to our Reading Counts Program for each one.

I've only looked at Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee, but they are wonderful.
Good information and beautiful illustrations.

We have about 9 of the books for the SE and they work great with reluctant readers.
The more gifted kids can create their own books along similar lines--landmarks,
historical people of note for the state, state symbols and companies or products,
etceteras. If you have funds $$ try it!!

The Sleeping Bear Press books are wonderful! They have a portion in verse and large
type that is readable by younger readers, columns of info in smaller type for older
readers, and lots of great illustrations. Our library only owns a few so far, but
in my second job as freelance book reviewer I've seen almost all of their titles
and each that I've seen is worth the money.

I loved the New Hampshire book.  We had the author visit the school twice now.
When I went to the book store and looked at some of the other states they were not
written as well so I did not buy them as gifts.  I may however buy the set for
those Third Grade reports.  I think the kids would enjoy reading about their
assigned state.

I have one on order but won't get it until March.  I haven't seen any others.
Gumdrop books (800-821-7199) or a local bookstore might have a copy you could see.

http://mail.yahoo.com