SeattleRFFDYR@aol.com

Cascadia Educators Conference
Science Fiction in the classroom
Thursday, September 1, 2005
http://www.cascadiacon.org/Educators.htm
PO Box 1066, Seattle WA 98111

Winners of the Golden Duck Awards
Picture Book
2004    Elliot, David Hazel Nutt: Mad Scientist [Holliday House]
2003    Saxton, Curtis J. Star Wars Episode II Attack of the Clones --
Incredible Cross-Sections. Illustrated by Hans Jenssen and Richard Chasemore [DK
Publishers]
2002    Scieszka, Jon. Boloney. Illustrated by Lane Smith. [Viking Press]
2001    Gould, Robert & Duey, Kathleen, Rex #1. Illustrated by Epstein,
Eugene. [Big Guy Books]
2000    Kirk, Daniel, (author and illustrator) Hush, Little Alien. [Hyperion
Books]
1999    Cecil, Laura. Noah and the Space Ark. Illustrated by Emma Chichester
Clark. [Carolrhoda Books]
1998    Rex, Michael. Floating Home. [Henry Holt]
1997    Gaffney, Timothy R. Grandpa Takes Me to the Moon. Illustrated by
Barry Root. [Tambourine Books, New York]
1996    Vagin, V. and Asch, F. Insects from Outer Space. Illustrated by
Vladimir Vagin
1995    Rohmann, Eric, (author and illustrator) Time Flies. [Crown]
1994    Anderson, Joan Richie's Rocket. Photgraphed by George Anacona.
[Morrow]
1993    Weisner, David. June 29, 1999. [Clarion]
1992    Fleishman, Paul. Time Train. Illustrations by Claire Ewart. [Harper
Collins]

Eleanor Cameron Award for Middle Grades
2004    Haddix, Margaret Peterson Escape from Memory [Simon & Schuster]
2003    Greenburg, J. C. Andrew Lost (Entire series) [Random House (Stepping
Stones Books)]
2002    Dodd, Quentin. Beatnik Rutabagas From Beyond the Stars. [Farrar
Strauss Giroux]
2001    Etchemendy, Nancy. The Power of UN. [Cricket Books]
2000    Coville, Bruce. I was a 6th Grade Alien. [Simon & Schuster]
1999    Anderson, Kevin and Moesta, Rebecca. Young Jedi Knights (Entire
series) [Boulevard, 1998]
1998    Crider, Bill. Mike Gonzo and the UFO Terror. [Minstrel]
1997    Applegate, K.A. The Message. [Scholastic]
1996    Bechard, Margaret. Star Hatchling. [Penguin]
1995    Brittain, Bill. Shape Changer. [HarperCollins]
1994    David, Peter. Worf's First Adventure. (Star Trek Academy series)
[Pocket]
1993    Service, Pamela. Weirdos of the Universe Unite! [Macmillan]
1992    Coville, Bruce. My teacher Glows in the Dark. [Pocket]

Hal Clement Award for Young Adults
2004    Turtledove, Harry Gunpowder Empire [Tor Books]
2003    Anderson, M. T. Feed. [Candlewick Press]
2002    Gerrold, David. Jumping off the Planet. [Tor]
2001    Layne, Steven. This Side of Paradise. [Pelican]
2000    Roger MacBride Allen. The Game of Worlds. (In Out of Time series
created by David Brin). [Avon]
1999    Segriff, Larry. Alien Dreams. [Baen, 1998]
1998    Shusterman, Neal. Dark Side of Nowhere. [Little Brown]
1997    Gould, Steven. Wildside. [Tor]
1996    TIE: Hoover, H.M. Winds of Mars. [Dutton]       Goldman, Em. M Night
Room. [Penquin]
1995    Farmer, Nancy. The Ear the Eye & the Arm. [Orchard]
1994    Lowry, Lois. The Giver. [Houghton Mifflin]
1993    Stevermer, Caroline. River Rats. [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich]
1992    Hughes, Monica. Invitation to the Game. [Simon & Schuster]

Special Awards
2003    Best Science and Technology Education:  Czerneda, Julia for the Tales
of the Wonderzone (Entire Series) [Trifolium Books]
2000    Promotion of Reading:  Rowling, J.K for the Harry Potter series.
1999    Australian Contribution to Children's Science Fiction:  Nix, Garth
1997    Strong Female Characters:  Fontenay, Charles L. Kipton and the Tower
of Time. [Royal Fireworks Press].
Recommended Picture Books
Bradman, Tony. It came from Outer Space*. Dial. 1992.
Coffelt, Nancy. Dogs in Space. HBJ, 1993.
Cohn, Arlen. Solar System SOS. Accord. 1998.
McNaughton, Colin. Here Come The Aliens! Candlewick, 1995.
Marshall, James. Space Case. Dial. 1986.
Marshall, James. Merry Christmas, Space Case. Dial. 1986
Reynolds, David West. Star Wars: Incredible Cross Sections. DK. 1998.
Reynolds, David West. Star Wars: the Visual Dictionary. DK. 1998.
Sadler, Marilyn. Alastair and the Alien Invasion. Simon & Schuster, 1994.
Sadler, Marilyn. Alastair's Time Machine. Simon & Schuster, 1993.
Sadler, Marilyn. Alastair in Outer Space. Simon & Schuster, 1985.
Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad and the Big Black Hole. Putnam.1996.
Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad and the Dis-asteroid. Putnam. 1996.
Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad and the Intergalactic Spy. Putnam. 1996.
Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad and the Planet of the Grapes. Putnam. 1997.
Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad and the Space Pirates. Putnam.1997.
Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad in Space. Putnam.1997.
Science Fiction Reading List for Grades 2-4
Calhoun, B. B. On the Right Track*. W. H. Freeman, 1994.
Coville, Bruce. Space Brat. Pocket, 1993.
Coville, Bruce. Space Brat 3: The Wrath of Squat. Pocket, 1994.
Coville, Bruce. The Dinosaur That Followed Me Home. Pocket, 1992.
Coville, Bruce. How I Survived My Summer Vacation. Pocket, 1991.
Coville, Bruce. Some of My Best Friends Are Monsters. Pocket, 1991.
Curtis, Phillip. Invasion of the Brain Sharpeners. Random House, 1981.
Curtis, Phillip. Invasion of the Comet People*. Random House, 1983.
Dadey, Debbie and Jones, Marcia Thorton. Aliens Don't Wear Braces.
Scholastic, 1993.
Slobodkin, Louis. Space Ship Under the Apple Tree. Macmillian, 1952.
Slobodkin, Louis. The Space Ship Returns to the Apple Tree. Macmillian, 1981.
Science Fiction Reading List for Grades 5-6
Ames, Mildred. Anna to the Infinite Power*. Scribner, 1982.
Anderson, Margaret J. The Brain on Quartz Mountain*. Knopf, 1982.
Applegate, K. A. Alien (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Andalite's Gift. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Android. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Capture. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Encounter. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Forgotten. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Invasion. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1996
Applegate, K. A. Message. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Pretender. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Secret. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Stranger. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Applegate, K. A. Visitor. (Animorph) Scholastic, 1997
Asimov, Isaac. Mutants*. Raintree,1982.
Asimov, Isaac; Greenberg, Martin; Waugh, Charles, ed. Young Mutants*. Harper,
1984.
Ballantine, Betty. The Secret Oceans. Bantam. 1994.
Butterworth, Oliver. The Enormous Egg. Little, Brown & Company, 1993.
Byars, Betsy. The Computer Nut. Viking, 1984.
Cameron, Eleanor. Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet. Little, 1954.
Cameron, Eleanor. Time and Mr. Bass*. Little, 1967.
Cameron, Eleanor. Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet*. Little, 1956.
Christopher, John. White Mountains. Macmillan, 1967.
Conly, Jane Leslie. R-T, Margaret and the Rats of NIMH. HarpC Chil, 1991.
Corbett, Scott. The Deadly Hoax*. Dutton, 1981.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Glows in the Dark. Pocket, 1991.
Coville, Bruce. I Left My Sneakers in Dimension X. Pocket, 1994.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Is an Alien. Pocket, 1991.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Fried My Brains. Pocket, 1992.
Coville, Bruce. Aliens Ate My Homework. Pocket, 1993.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Flunked the Planet. Pocket, 1993.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Is an Alien. Pocket, 1991.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Fried My Brains. Pocket, 1992.
Coville, Bruce. Aliens Ate My Homework. Pocket, 1993.
Coville, Bruce. My Teacher Flunked the Planet. Pocket, 1993.
David, Peter. Worf's First Adventure. Pocket, 1993.
David, Peter. Line of Fire. Pocket, 1993.
David, Peter. Survival. Pocket, 1993.
DeWeese, Gene. Black Suits from Outer Space*. G.P. Putnam, 1985.
Disch, Thomas M. The Brave Little Toaster*. Doubleday, 1988.
Gilden, John. The Pet. Pocket, 1994.
Greer, Gery and Ruddick, Bob. Jason and the Escape from the Bat Planet*.
HarperCollins, 1993.
Haas, Dorothy. Burton's Zoom Zoom Va-room Machine*. Pocket, 1993.
O'Brien, Robert. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.
Roberts, Willo Davis. The Girl with the Silver Eyes. Scholastic, 1980.
Service, Pamela. Stinker from Space. Fawcett, 1989.
Service, Pamela. Stinker's Return. Scribners, 1993.
Service, Pamela. Weirdoes of the Universe, Unite! Atheneum, 1992.
Slobodkin, Louis. The Three-Seated Space Ship*. Macmillian, 1981.
Strickland, Bruce. The Star Ghost. Pocket, 1994.
Strickland, Bruce. Stowaways*. Pocket, 1994.
Vornholt, John. Capture the Flag. Pocket, 1994.
Science Fiction Reading List for Grades 6-10
Bova, Ben. City of Darkness. Scribner, 1976.
Bova, Ben. Exiled from Earth*. Dutton, 1971.
Bova, Ben. End of Exile*. Dutton, 1975.
Bradbury, Ray. R is for Rocket.*
Bradbury, Ray. S is for Space**.
Caraker, Mary. Snows of Jasper.**
Christopher, John. Beyond the Burning Lands. Macmillian, 1971.
Christopher, John. The Prince is Waiting. Macmillian, 1970.
Christopher, John. The Sword of the Spirits. Macmillian, 1972.
Christopher, John. The White Mountains. Macmillian, 1967.
Christopher, John. City of Lead and Gold. Macmillian, 1967.
Christopher, John. Pool of Fire. Macmillian, 1968.
Clarke, Arthur C. Dolphin Island. Holt, 1963.
Danziger, Paula. This Place Has No Atmosphere.**
Du Bois, William Pene. Twenty-One Balloons.
Engdahl, Sylvia Louise. Enchantress from the Stars*. Atheneum, 1970.
Engdahl, Sylvia Louise. This Star Shall Abide*. Atheneum, 1972.
Heinlein, Robert. Between Planets.
Heinlein, Robert. Citizen of the Galaxy.
Heinlein, Robert. Farmer in the Sky.
Heinlein, Robert. Have Space Suit--Will Travel.
Heinlein, Robert. Red Planet.
Heinlein, Robert. Rocketship Galileo.**
Heinlein, Robert. The Rolling Stones.**
Heinlein, Robert. Space Cadet.
Heinlein, Robert. The Star Beast.
Heinlein, Robert. Starman Jones.
Heinlein, Robert. Time for Stars.*
Heinlein, Robert. Tunnel in the Sky.
Hughes, Monica. Invitation to the Game. Simon & Schuster, 1991.
Hughes, Monica.The Crystal Drop*. Simon & Schuster, 1993
Hughes, Monica. The Guardian of Isis. Atheneum, 1982.
Hoover, H.M. The Bell Tree*. Viking, Avon, 1977.
Hoover, H.M. The Rains of Eridan*. Viking,Avon, 1977.
Hoover, H.M. The Shepard Moon**. Viking, 1984.
Karl, Jean. But We Are Not of Earth*. Dutton, 1981.
Klause. Alien Secrets. Bantam. 1993.
L'Engle, Madeline. Wrinkle in Time. Farrar, Dell, 1962.
L'Engle, Madeline. Wind in the Door. Farrar, Dell, 1974.
L'Engle, Madeline. A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Farrar, Dell, 1978.
L'Engle, Madeline. Ring of Endless Light. Farrar, Dell, 1980.
Lowrey, Lois. The Giver. Houghton Mifflin, 1993.
McCaffrey, Anne. Dragonsong. Atheneum, 1976.
McCaffrey, Anne. Dragondrums. Atheneum, 1979.
McCaffrey, Anne. Dragonsinger. Atheneum, 1977.
Norton, Andre. Forerunner. Pinnacle, 1981.
Norton, Andre. Moon of Three Rings*. Viking, 1966.
Norton, Andre. The Zero Stone*. Viking, 1968.
O'Brien, Robert. Z for Zachariah. Atheneum, 1975.
Oppel, Kenneth. Dead Water Zone. Little, Brown, 1993
Park, Ruth. My Sister Sif.
Payne, Bernal C. Experiment in Terror. Houghton Mifflin, 1987.
Pinkwater, Daniel M. Lizard Music. Bantam. 1976.
Rubinstein, Gillian. Space Demons. Pocket, 1989.
Rubinstein, Gillian. Skymaze. Pocket, 1991.
Sleator, William. Interstellar Pig.
Sleator, William. House of Stairs.
Slote, Alfed. Clone Catcher. Harper, 1982.
Slote, Alfed. My Robot Buddy. Harper, 1975.
Slote, Alfed. My Trip To Alpha I. Avon, 1978.
Slote, Alfed. C.O.L.A.R.: A Tale of Outer Space. Avon, 1981.
Slote, Alfed. Omega Station. Avon, 1983.
Stevermer, Caroline. River Rats. HBJ, 1992.
Yep, Lawrence. Sweetwater.
Adult Titles Able to be Enjoyed by Young Adults
Adams, Douglas. Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Anderson, Poul. Earthman's Burden.
Anderson, Poul. Guardians of Time.
Anderson, Poul. The High Crusade.
Asimov, Isaac. The Caves of Steel.
Asimov, Isaac. Nightfall and Other Stories.
Asimov, Isaac. Foundation.
Asimov, Isaac. Second Foundation.
Asimov, Isaac. Foundation's Edge.
Card, Orson Scott. Ender's Game.
Cherryh, C. J. Pride of Chanur.
Clarke, Arthur C. Red Sands of Mars.
Clement, Hal. Mission of Gravity.
Herbert, Frank. Dune.
Smith, E. E. The Lensman series.
Smith, E. E. The Skylark series.
Williams, Sheila. Loch Ness Monster. Doubleday, 1993.
Van Vogt, A. E. Slan.
Wells, H. G. The Invisible Man.
Wells, H. G. The Time Machine.
Wells, H. G. The War of the Worlds.
Wibberly, Leonard. Encounter Near Venus.
Williamson, Jack. The Legion of Space.
Williamson, Jack. The Legion of Time.
Williamson, Jack. The Moon Children.

We welcome nominations of titles for Golden Duck consideration as well as
participation in our selection process. A committee including teachers,
librarians, and fannish parents selects a finalist list of 5-6 titles in each
category.
Members of a larger jury read the finalist titles in a category and using
Australian ballots decide on the winning title for the year. Our procedures are
similar to the Hugos, with considerations for differences such as the small
number of voters, and availability of titles.