I have been involved in the lexile world  for a few months now.  Last
year, our school switched to NWEA testing.  After testing in this
system, each child receives a lexile range based on their test.
Students are tested 2-3 times a year, depending on the age.  Each
time, their lexile range is updated.  We record those lexile ranges
for each student in our check out book.  This is what we do:
I use a chart for lexile range that show grade levels.  First grade
range is 200-400, second grade range is  300-600, third grade
500-800, fourth grade 600-900, fifth grade 700-1000, sixth grade 800
- 1050, seventh grade 850-1100, eighth 900-1150, ninth grade
1000-1200, tenth grade 1025-1200, eleventh grade 1050-1225, 12th
grade 1075-1350. (The upper grades from 9th on may be slight
approximations - my detailed chart  has been borrowed by a teacher
and not returned yet.)  Anyway, these are the ranges suggested for
text books for each grade level. Next to their names in our check out
book, we color a very small dot so that whomever is checking out can
see where each student is.

Many teachers wanted to know lexile books for library books, so I
wrote a grant to our staff development and arranged to work during
the summer last year to start "lexiling" the libray.  For me, lexile
leveling the library has meant this:

I select a material type and print it off.  Then we go to lexile.com
and search for the title.  If I find a lexile number, I put L=(lexile
number) on the first end paper - inside book.  I ordered small star
stickers for the spines of the books.  Red is first grade, second is
green, etc.  The stars are placed at the top of each spine.  If a
book has a number of 550, it has two stars on the spine (2nd and
3rd).  Lexile numbers are also put in the Marc record (Tag 521,
Indicator 8, Subfield a).  We placed large stars on the wall so
everyone can see the sequence.  When students check out, they know
the color of the star which would be their top level.  They can check
out books at their level or below. We have their max color on the
check out roster.  So far, I have only been able to lexile the Easy
section and the elem fiction (k-6). We have books in those sections
that do not have lexile numbers yet.   It is  a frustration to me
that I can not find lexile numbers for each title that I own.  All
students are given the checkout "mandate" You must check out (1,2,3)
starred books.  You may also check out (1,2,3,) "free" books - (those
books not starred).
The pros for our school - First and second and third grade teachers
are ecstatic.  The first grade teacher says she cannot believe how
much this has helped.  Students learning how to read are feeling
successful.  The teachers working with special education love the
guidance.  Students get to pick their  own books and they are not
feeling pigeon holed as lexile numbers are kept private and they can
simply look for the colors they need.  It also eliminates need for
guidance with those students who want to check out the biggest book
in the library.  Parents like it as kids are bringing books home that
are written at their level.
Cons - A lexile number only reflects the reading level - not the
level of sophistication needed to understand the text.  Sometimes a
book is inappropriate for a younger audience even though it has a low
lexile number.  Some books have a very high lexile (such as Lemony
Snicket and Little House books.)  I used my discretion and did not
label those books but kept them as free choice so as not to
discourage students from selecting them.

This system works best with trained personnel to guide the library.
Is this a lot of work?  You bet!!  Has it been worth it so far?  Yes,
I think so.  Do I think it will be as effective with older students?
I will wait and see. If anyone has a way to make this workload
easier, I would certainly like to hear it.  I am planning on writing
another staff development grant this year for another work session
this summer. I would love to find lexile numbers for each and every
book!  Thanks and I hope this helps some.
--
Beverly Nelson
Media Generalist