Thanks so much for all responses received.  I passed the list on to the teacher
making the original request and she was very grateful---as am I.

Original Request:
I have been asked by one of my first-grade teachers for books to use with her
students that show a clear beginning, middle, and end.  Does anyone have any
suggestions I might share with her?
Thank you for your help.  I will compile a HIT if there is interest.

Little Loon and Papa by Toni Buzzeo has a very clear beginning (Papa tries to teach
Little Loon to dive), middle (frightened Little Loon wanders off and encounters a
bear, a moose, and a beaver), and end (the only way for Little Loon to reunite with
Papa is to gather his courage and dive under the birch tree felled by the beaver).

**********************
How about 3 Billy Goats Gruff or the 3 Silly Girls Grub?
I am not at school so if I think of others, I'll add to this. I have used
the 2 above to teach beginning, middle and end.

**********************
The Mitten.  Nicki loses his mitten (Problem) the animals all go inside the
mitten (middle) Nikki finds his mitten (end)

**********************
Leo Lionni  It's Mine

All the three frogs do all day long is bicker bicker bicker (it's mine)

Until disaster strikes (middle)

The frogs suddenly enjoy the newfound peace, (it's ours) perhaps they've grown up a
little?

************************
A great book to read out loud to the is Gooney Bird greene by Lowry.  It's about a
little girl who tells stories and about the story writing process.

**************************
With my first grade classes, I always use two books:  Tabitha's Terrifically Tough
Tooth (the author escapes me right now) and A Mother for Choco by Keiko Kasza.
Both demonstrate a clear problem in the beginning, the struggle and humorous
attempts to solve the problem in the middle, and a clear solution at the end.  I
follow both with a sequencing activity.  Seems to work well...

*************************
Dr. De Soto
Brave Irene
A Bad Case of Stripes