Dear colleague,

I always wonder the real use of picture book section. picture books section are
only mean for the little children around or below 8, because they love books have
more pictures than words. but with library training, i still insist and think that
most books need to be classify under subject content.

well, story books are ok to out in picture books but always be careful by fooling
ourselves and readers by CIP and without thining and checking with classification
schemes

======= 2004-10-15 22:36:23 wrote this in your previous mail=======

>Wendy:
>Be careful of taking picture books out the FIC, they might belong there. A
>few years ago, i too questioned why picture books are in the FIC location of the
>Public and School library, only to discover that they are older reader
>picture books with content/subject matter (interest level) intended for older
>readers. If you check the CIP on the copyright page, you will find the proper
>classification, FIC or [E], but be careful that the CIP has been properly assigned.
>I have found mistakes and my cataloguing teacher told the class that many
>times it is not reliable. However, i have found that more often than not, it is
>reliable. If in doubt i check via the Internet and compare other libraries, the
>Library of Congress, Titlewave. I believe Tuesday is by David Weisner? We have
>that cataloged and placed in the [E] (Easy Picture Books - but not always
>easy) Section. You can also log onto Follett's Titlewave, do a search, and use
>Follett's assigned Dewey - They go by the Sear's catalog as do most school
>libraries.
>
>Phyllis Libbe
>Library Assistant
>Stanton Elementary School
>CVUSD
>Castro Valley, CA
>
>If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.  ~Cicero

>All LM_NET postings are protected by copyright law.
>To change your LM_NET status, e-mail to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
>In the message write EITHER: 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET  2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
>3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://elann.biglist.com/el-announce/
>LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html