We have 40 wireless laptops in the LMC.  If the
adjacent computer labs are available students use
those.  If not, the may check out a laptop - Compaq
and Mac - at the circ desk.  They are all cataloged
and barcoded. They must be used in the library and
returned at the end of the period - or before they
leave, if after school.

We have two mobile carts of laptops.  Teachers may sign
them out to use in their room or in the library on a first
come first serve basis.  If a teacher is signed up to use
laptops in the library their students get priority over
students who have come from other classes.  Students coming
individually are on a first come first serve basis.  There
are a few students that we know don't have computer access
at home and we do try to make sure that those students have
access when they need it.

We have a cart of 18 laptops with a wireless hub.  We loan the whole kit
and caboodle to teachers to take to their classrooms, or we hand out
laptops to students who come to the library in a class with their
teacher; these laptops do not leave the library in this situation, kids
must use them here.  We do sometimes loan out laptops one at a time for
a few days to teachers, but we do not loan out laptops individually or
overnight to students.

We have two laptop carts with 16 laptops in each.  They are wireless, so
the students can use them anywhere in the Media Center.  Since they are
the size that can easily fit in a backpack, we have barcodes on them and
check them in and out when students want to use them, whether they are
with a class or individual.  We have many students in and out of the
Media Center so we felt that we would have better control this way,
although it does take up alot of time.  We usually don't have enough
time to check them out before school, but they are very popular after
school.  They are supposed to be for academic purposes only, but we are
not super strict about that after school.

Yes, we have laptops here - our policy is that classes get first
priority and teachers must sign up for them. Then students can use them
if they are study hall students if no classes are scheduled to use them,
and if they have real work to do. Our laptops are on a mobile cart and
were purchased by the school so that teachers could take them into their
classrooms, but it seems teachers (and students) prefer to come to the
library to use them. I had the foresight to offer the library as a space
to house this mobile lab - and that has been a boone to both students
and the library in general.

We've had a cart of laptops in the library for 2.5 years now. These are
the
policies and procedures that work for us.

1. I keep the cart behind the circulation desk and have all the laptops
barcoded. When a student comes in to use a laptop, he has to have a
current
student ID (which is also our library card) and no overdues in order to
check
out a laptop. Laptops must stay in the library. (It's amazing the
importance
students place on using a laptop. I get more overdues back with this
policy
than with any other!) BTW, I do have 7 desktops that students who cannot
check
out a laptop are able to use, so I'm not restricting anyone's access to
computer.

2. I have a label on each laptop that states that they are to be used
for
school purposes only -- no personal email, chatrooms or games. This is
very
difficult to monitor, but we do what we can. If I catch someone playing
a game
or in a chatroom, I ask them to turn in their laptops and find something
else
to do.

3. The printers are in my office. While I don't check everything that
prints, I
get a lot less waste than I the few days they were not in my office.

We have four laptops in our library (11 computer stations).  We have all
the labtpos secured behind the circulation desk.  Students are not
allowed
to take them out of the library.  We have a sign-out sheet where we
record
the student's name, barcode of laptop, time checked-out, and time
checked-in.  This system has worked well for us.

We also use the laptops as extra OPAC stations when we have a class in
for
research.

I have laptops in libary.
Each has a number (large like a house address size) with security strio
under the number.
I have a notebook with clear plastic sheets that have 9 pockets per page
(card collector sheets) These sheets are numbered too.
The studnet gives me his/her ID..I put it in plastic sheet & give them
the computer with that number...when they return the computer I give
thme back their student ID....they use them in the library during
classes & at lunch..we are not open after schl..no librarian..hopethis
helps...
Bythis time of the year, studnet helpers pass out computers...KE

After 20 years of flexible scheduling, I now have classes the last 3
periods of the day.  I set the laptops up in advance whenever possible
to maximize class time.  We have desktops for before and after school.

I have laptops while the lab is being renovated.  I usually have the
kids take them from the carts as they come into class, because if they
all turn them on and login at one time, we jam the network and it takes
forever to login!  The kids also shut down and put them away, unless
another class is coming in the following period and will need them. If
that is the case, the kids log off and close the lid.  The next kids do
not have to wait for the computers to start up, they just log right in.