I have to agree with the non-labling advocates. I have never been a fan of
AR because I have seen too many instances where it twarts, rather than
creates, a love of reading. One particular story horrified me. A child had
been given a book as a Christmas gift. When she learned that she didn't get
any points for reading it, she threw it down in disgust. My personal
experience with AR is very negative. I have a son who has been reading since
he was 4 and by the time he encountered AR in grade 2, he was already
reading at a 6th or 7th grade level. Guess what? There were no AR books for
him. He wasted a considerable amount of time reading easy book after easy
book. He earned lots of rewards, but learned nothing. I have found that
sometimes labeling books embarasses students who have not yet acquired the
skill to read anything but the easiest books. Finally, I will just say that
perception is reality. If you tell a kid that a book is too hard for him, in
most cases he will prove you right. Let them find out on their own what is
too hard.

Marsha Redd
Librarian, Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com
Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a student.
Everyone is a teacher.