From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Terry Young
Sent: Friday, February 04, 2005 8:19 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] TARGET: FICTION OR EASY?

While this is 'nice', you should catalog items so that the next slms does
not spend time correcting what is not acceptable cataloging.  Use your
automation systems "categories" and the local tag "920" information...do not
undermine the integrity of the MARC record.

One of the major problems facing slms is "cleaning up the data" because a
prior slms decided to do something that they thought was the best...when it
fact in the "big picture of things" someone has to clean it up down the
road.

Remember that the legacy you leave behind is the integrity of the OPAC...in
your absence it is the OPAC MARC records that support the slmc.

No flames plese..this is my 2 cents... and the way I teach cataloging to
slms.

Terry

Terrence E. Young, Jr., M.Ed., MLS
Librarian, Jefferson Parish Public School System
Adjunct Professor of Library Science, Univ of New Orleans
NetWorth editor: Knowledge Quest
E-Reference columnist: School Library Journal
Writer/Reviewer: Library Media Connection, Science Books & Films, School
Library Journal, Book Links