We have a number of these books.  One that is extremely popular now -- with
the girls, especially -- is the MARS series by Fuyumi Soryo.  I bought the
first volume of Love, Hina and one of the girls who reads these books said
They were sort of rated R (her words) but she likes this series and her
friends have read them, too. We looked at that one, and although there is a
little nudity, it is very subtle e.g., if there's a female body, there's an
outline of the breast but no nipple; towels are used with discretion.

I would definitely buy these books for your students, but would make two
suggestions:

1. Read the reviews
Check out some of the great review sites for these books, which will give
you an indication of the level (good for all ages, teen, adult, etc) in
addition to a review. I can't recommend the site " No Flying, No Tights"
enough.  I have a link on my library website to this site and other sites
related to graphic novels:
http://www.hhslibrary.org/graphicnovels.html

Without a doubt, the best place to get reviews in print is VOYA (Voice of
Youth Advocates), my favorite professional magazine.

2. Check out the graphics
Check out these books at your nearest Borders or Barnes & Noble, or,
better yet, at your local comic books store.  Borders usually has a large
collection of these books near the sci-fi section, and Barnes and Nobles has
a big section in the teen books section (in the series section).  There is a
Store Locator for your nearest comic book stores on the Diamond Comics
website.http://csls.diamondcomics.com/

Flipping through the books will give you important information as to the
level of nudity, etc. and then you can make an informed decision about
individual titles.

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
Bayard Rustin HS for the Humanities
351 W. 18th Street