Hello,
        This has been a very stimulating discussion.  I was planning to share an
article on this topic at some point, but all of a sudden there it was being
discussed on the list.  In the Winter 2004/2005 issue of American Educator, the
journal of the American Federation of Teachers, there is an article by Barbara
Feinberg entitled "Reflections on the 'Problem Novel'", pp. 8-19.  The subtitle is
"Do These Calamity-Filled Books Serve Up Too Much, Too Often, Too Early?"  Barbara
founded and now teaches at Story Shop, a creative writing after school program for
children.  The article was adapted from her book Lizard Motel: Children, Stories,
and the Mystery of Making Things Up, A Memoir [Beacon Press, 2004].

        Although I don't believe she advocates going back to the days when Lassie
getting her fur caught in a car door was a crisis, she believes that this severe
"testing of the soul" and these "shocking rite of passages" that are so typical of
YA literature are giving a view of life to teenagers that is not entirely healthy.
Although 40% of the Newberry Awards go to these "dark reality" novels, she doesn't
believe that these represent the authentic voice of the young protagonists or
accurately portray life from the child's perspective.  These novels take away hope,
there is no resource to fantasy, no open destiny.  She compares novels such as The
Pigman by Paul Zindel to  A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, the latter being
one that offers solace along with pain.

        I knew virtually nothing about YA Literature, but had an excellent
introduction  through my course work at Syracuse.  I stopped reading these novels
for quite some time, but have immersed myself in this genre for the last five years
or so.  I am continually amazed at the variety, ingenuity and quality of the
writing especially on themes and topics pertinent to our culture and contemporary
life.  Many of these topics should be covered in the standard curriculum, but if
they did exist before, have been squeezed out in the frenzy attached to
standardized test scores.

        On the other hand, we are reading and assessing these novels from the
viewpoint of an adult.  We have a great deal more knowledge, perspective and,
hopefully, wisdom, when it comes to handling some of the God-awful circumstances
that fate or human beings have inflicted on others or humanity in general.  If you
are a teenager or younger and you are reading a steady diet of this material both
in the classroom and from your other reading outlets, falling into a severe state
of depression with potentially tragic consequences becomes a possibility.  Betty
Winslow's experience [post of Feb. 3rd], relates what could happen with particular
individuals.

        My philosophy is to have a wide range of titles available from a variety of
authors and perspectives.  Here is life from the viewpoint of young adult authors
in all its tragedy, comedy, joy, sorrow, hope, despair, denial, acceptance,
forgiveness, revenge, etc.  We cannot stop a student from reading a book that is
going to be a downer, but we can promote titles for these same students that will
show some light at the end of the tunnel.

Ed Nizalowski, SMS
Newark Valley High School
Newark Valley, NY
enizalowski@nvcs.stier.org