I have an English teacher coming in tomorrow (Monday) and her students will
be looking at information about the social contidions in Chine in the late
1800s and early 1900s. They are reading "The Good Earth" by Pearl Buck.

I have some books located for her, but they mostly focus on Ancient China.
I also have some websites but again seem to be either ancient china or
modern china. I can also point them to the encylopedia, both our online one
and our print but again it is Ancient and Modern.  Perhaps there wasn't
really very much change in the social conditions of normal people until the
Communist Revolution.

Anyway, I am turning to the best support for librarians ever. Do any of you
have a website or two that focuses on life in China in the 19th and early
20th century, ones that would be good for 9th grade students doing a
project after reading "The Good Earth". I am hoping to have some sort of
pathfinder ready for them tomorrow.

I will post a hit.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School