I am researchingi wiki software at the moment, and so I am looking
closely at Wikipedia.  I ran across an alphebetic listing of topics that
are currently under dispute in wikipedia.  All the people on the list
were listed by their first name, rather than their last name.  Have you
seen this happening often - or is this simply an abberation of
wikipedia?

The larger question is - now that we spend so much time searching online
where the name order is generally insignificant - are we going to have
an even harder time getting students to look under the last name?  I
have noticed that some research databases still require the last name to
be first - but I am sure that will change soon. I am constantly amazed
at how many of my HIGH SCHOOL students look in encylopedias under the
first name.

Another thing our teachers have noticed is that our students, grade
9-12, freak out if they are required to use "cursive".  It seems to die
out in Middle School and by the time we get them, they don't remember
how to form the letters.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)