Hello friends,

My school board (district) is in the process of moving its central offices and
services into a new-to-us building.  As part of this process, there has been some
discussion as to what role(s) the district-level library should play.  Presently we
have a central library which has both professional type materials (materials aimed
at helping teachers better understand their curricular areas,  as well as general
teaching pedegogy) and curriculum materials (videos and kits which are aimed at
classroom use).  The central library also assists the 55 or so school libraries
with cataloging (we have a union catalog), and makes some centralized purchases for
the school libraries, including access to a number of online databases.

If you have and/or are in a district-level library, I would be interested in your
thoughts on the best balance between "professional" and "curriculum/classroom
support"-type materials.  Due to space considerations, it is possible that we will
need to separate the professional and curriculum materials.  Do you have both
materials together?  If separate, how do teachers request them?  Are they in a
union catalog?  What about research requests from consultants/"top brass"?
Presently our central library is located quite a distance from the main school
offices; after the move they will be in the same building, and we're unclear about
what the impact of this might be...

Any thoughts/comments/vents/advice you might have on this topic would be most
welcome.  I did look through the archives, and found some references to district
level libraries (especially in Portland, OR) which I have read through.  I wasn't
sure what search phrases to use, so if you are aware of other phrases I could use
to expand my archives search, please send those along as well.

I'll post a HIT.

Thanks for your help!

Lou Murray Gorvett
Library Technician