I am looking for a book or an anthology that contains a Chinese Folk Tale
or fable about the Thief that kept his hands clean.  The story is about a
wise magistrate who assembles all the "usual suspects" in a theft case.
The magistrate has placed soot all over a bell and then covered it with a
cloth.  He tells all the suspects that the bell will toll out when the
thief touches the bell, so only the real thief is afraid to touch the bell
and only he has clean hands when the exercise is over.   I read this story
to a group of students during this time of year, but somehow my book is
missing and I don't remember the title.

Can anyone shed some light on this story or the book?  I would appreciate
any help.  YOu are a great group.

Penny Marshall, Librarian
Oaklawn Visual and Performing ARts School
Hot Springs, AR  71901
marshallp@hssd.net