Thanks to all who responded.  I ended up writing our library name with a
permanent pen, its matching equipment and barcoded the remotes. Velcro was
very popular, too. I already had color coded them to match the equipment.  I
checked the cost to replace the one lost and it's $75.

Here's a compilation of the responses.   Considering that it was Super Bowl
Sunday remotes are a hot item.

--
Sue Weiss
Librarian

1. Barcoding them and checking them out like other equipment (6)

2. We put remotes in a manila envelope that is labeled with # of cart it
matches, how many remotes, and which ones (LCD projector/DVD
cart #2  2 remotes   JVC DVD remote   Epson Projector Remote) and each
remote is barcoded. And they are in my assistant's drawer.

When cart is checked out, we ask if they want/need remote. Usually answer is
yes, then we check out remotes and put bag on cart.
Teachers seem to remember the process and make sure remotes are with cart.

2. (14) Velcro - after writing make and model on remote.  Label with a big
reminder to return (but still has to hunt).  Contrasting  colors, but no
guarantee it will return

Example: What I did is I bought some of the velcro tape rolls.  Depending on
the widge of the remotes, I put 1-2 strips on it where it will touch the
back of the remote that rests the most against the vcr.  I measure a strip
before cutting it, then attach one sticky side to the remote first.  Once
the one is attached to the back of the remote I pull the protective strip on
the other side of the velcro that I measured to fit the opposing side and
push against the vcr in a place that's visible, but not going to get in the
way of anything.  I also write the school name, barcode number for
circulation, etc. on top and sides too so I can see from any angle.

We also have wall mounted TV's in all of our homerooms.  I attached all the
remotes to the side of the TV's that way.  Most just keep their remotes in
their desks (or thereabouts), but some keep theirs attached to the side of
the TV so they know where to look for it and it is out of the way of
students.

3. a)Attach lanyards to remote - ugly but effective.
b) Bright gawdy colored ribbon

4. Check when machine is returned

5. We had problems keeping the little remote control units that go with
ceiling installed data projectors.  We found that it helps to affix them to
a large ugly block of wood.  That way people are less likely to
absent-mindedly put them in a pocket.

6. I have a daily checkout sheet on which we note the teacher's name, the #
of the equipment & if a remote was taken. This has worked well for us,
and it helps us remember to ask for the remote, if the  teacher forgets
to return it.

In addition, I put my hand on the remote (on the cart) and tell the teacher,
"Here is the remote - be sure you remove it from the cart when you get to
your room."  This is a CYA for me, so that I don't get the "there wasn't a
remote on the cart when I picked it up." This has worked well for me, but
last week I lost a remote when my (new) aide checked out a TV without doing
this (time to re-train).   I
hope this helps.