But, if our selection policy states something like 'librarian uses review sources
such as x journal, y book, and z's collection '
our choices may be limited by what those sources chose to review. If our policy
doesn't explicitly state that we are not limited to
books from those sources or if in the crunch of time we don't research areas we
personally are not familiar with, we could be
missing alternate points of view that provide balance.

Seen any (to pull from another thread) reviews on books about Intelligent Design
lately? And wouldn't our collection be more
balanced with the addition of a book discussing ID which has recommended by someone
with some knowledge in the field?

Or how much would our 'professional judgment' be swayed by 'concern about parent
complaints' by racy cover on a GN, a title such as
_Godless_, or knowing that Levithan's latest was the subject of a complaint,
successful or not, a few towns down the road?

Or, since none of us have as big a budget as we really need, why would 3 of the 5
secondary libraries I've worked in, have had large
collections of AD level mystery series' but not equivalent amounts of fantasy, teen
romance, edgy realistic YA novels, or comics
collection books?

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School, Vancouver WA
Pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library