Thanks to all who responded to my request for ideas on how to teach 4th
graders how to use the OPAC intheir library. Here's some of the

An OPAC Scavenger Hunt: Name _____________

1. How many Battle of the Books books are currently in? (use Visual
Search) __________

2. How many books do we have about dogs? (use Quick Search)
______________

3. Find the book Farm Dogs by Jason Cooper? (use Quick Search)

Is it currently in? _______

If it is out, when is it due back? _________

How many copies do we have? _________

What is the AR reading level? _______________

4. Go to Quick Search. Click on Reading Level. Enter your reading level.
What is the name of a book you found that looks interesting to you?

_____________________________________________________________________.

Is the book currently in? ______________

If it is out, when is it due back? ________

5. How many Valentines books do we have? (use Visual Search)_______

6. Look up Sylvester and the Magic Pebble. Is it in? (use Quick
Search)_______

If not, when is it due back? _______________

7. Go to Advance Search. How many books are about

tigers AND lions? ______________

tigers OR lions? ____________

tigers NOT lions? ___________

8. Type in Space Shuttle (use Quick Search). Go to the website What Does
the Space Shuttle Do?

What is the wingspan (length from wingtip to wingtip) of the Space
Shuttle? _____________________

9. How many books do we have by these authors? (Remember: Last name,
First name)

Matt Christopher? ____________________ Marc Brown ______________________

10. Make up an OPAC Scavenger Hunt question for your classmates. Write
the question (and answer) on the back of this paper. I will use some of
these with other classes too!

I like to show the screen of the computer I'm using to demonstrate on a
big screen for everybody, if you have the equip.

I look up things they'd be interested in. Who wrote Capt. Underpants? Do
we have any other books by that author? Are any copies of series of
unfortunate events checked in?

I have a bunch of questions on 3 x 5 cards that I wrote up. With 11
computers, they can, working in pairs, look up a few questions, then
pass the cards on to another pair. After a brief intro., most kids would
rather look themselves than listen to me. They also LOVE to look up the
record for the book they just checked out. I have even done this type of
lesson with second graders. Life is easier for me once they know how to
do a simple search. I stress that they should always ask me for help
because sometimes they will need it.

For 6th graders but would be just fine for 4th graders:

I show the OPAC via LCD projector. Next day, students have questions to
answer, very brief, but each is either based on the various searches:
For example, how many books in our library are written by Beverly
Cleary? Name the ones that are checked out. OR Who wrote Midnight for
Charlie Bone? How many pages does it have? OR Name the fiction books
about robots. Which nonfiction book on robots is the most current?

I give all students the same questions so they can help/discuss with
each other as needed.

Hi,
After initially modeling the basic process (logging on, accessing the
catalog, each kind of search and discussing when to use each, etc.) I
gave the students a worksheet of searches for them to do. I tied the
topics into seasonal interest (halloween i.e. costumes, ghosts, etc.;
Ice and Snow for winter practice sessions,) or a unit of classroom study
such as Japan. I experimented with appropriate terms and looked at the
hits that came up and generated specific questions from what I got. For
example one Halloween question asked them to locate a "good story" set
in a neighboring state, that used a costume to solve a mystery. Students
were given the term COSTUMES to look up. They had to recognize the need
for a Fiction title, sort and then read the annotations for the fiction
titles to determine appropriate title to answer the question. {They also
had to remember that PA is a neighboring state to MD.} Other questions
might ask for the author of a specific title or what a given title was a
collection of (poems), or how many books we had by a specific author --
gets at difference between copies and titles. One component of each
question was for the student to fill in a blank identifying the type of
search they had used to answer the question. The questions were designed
to require students to make choices from the hits to select the most
appropriate item for the need expressed in the question. We had our
non-fiction divided into an emergent reader section (* in front of the
call number in the on-line catalogue) and the standard section just like
fiction was E and F. Sorting would group * non-fiction, then
non-fiction, then E, F, and ref. Questions would ask for the best book
for a good reader wanting to do "whatever", or the best book for an
early reader interested in "whatever", or book with photographs of polar
bears, or best book to help you make your own costume. Emphasis of
activity was to have students use the catalogue in the way they would if
they were initiating a search, in other words go beyond basic navigation
to meaningful decision making. Navigation is learned along with the
decision making part.

If it's early 4th grade, I use my third grade methods: Using a
computer screen projection we talk about how to log on....I do it. We
talk about keywords....I do one. We look at the results list and
identify whether the first book is located in the Fiction section or
Non-fiction section. I have them read to me the title of the first
book and the author and whether it is available in the library. Then I
turn them loose on the computers, going back to my screen and having
them follow the leader. I login. They login. When they have logged
in the put both hands on top of their head (visual clue to me who had
done it/who is struggling AND it gets their little finger OFF the
keyboard for the moment, gives them short movements) I walk them
through the sequence once using the hands on the head and it becomes a
game to see who can type correctly (following my lead on the screen)
and get their hands up to their heads. For a second example, I turn
them loose on their own to find the book they want to take out for the
week and I observe.

I've done a "scavenger hunt" type thing where I have questions for them
find the answers to using the OPAC - like who is the author of RAMONA
AND
HER MOTHER? But varying the questions so they have to search by sub.,
author and title. Then I go one step further and have some questions
where
the actually use the OPAC to find the book and then have to actually
find
the book on the shelf and answer a question - like what is the name of
chapter 2 of HOW TO EAT FRIED WORMS? or How many chapters are in the
book
APATASAURUS by Elaine Landeau?

I go through using the system by either projecting myself actually using
the system or by putting printshots into a powerpoint. I then move the
students to the computer and walk them through several searched. I only
have 8 card catalog stations so there are usually 3 or 4 students at a
computer. I have them change typers, etc. every so often.

The next few weeks we have card catalog races. I have stacks of old card
catalog cards which I write on the back of. One stack is subjects, one
is titles, one is authors, and a final one has all 3 mixed together. I
divide the students into teams. Each team has a clipboard to write on
and is assigned a computer. Depending on which stack we are working on I
have them write down answers found in the catalog.
If they are looking up subjects they write down the subject and then
the call number of the first non-fiction book they find when they search
for that subject. To check is easy because you know if they are in the
right non-fiction area or not.
If they are looking up authors I have them write down the author's
name and then the title of one of the author's books. Again I quickly
check because I use authors I would recognize the title of their books.
If they are looking up titles I have them write down the title and
then the author.
When they get to the stack that has all three they have to figure
out what they are searching for and what to write down. This of course
is the hardest. If you think the students will have trouble
distinguishing between the type of items to search for you can always
put a S, T or A on the bottom of the card.

While they play I require them to change typers each search so that
all students are doing the searches. I don't mind if someone does all of
the writing, but I do want everyone to do the typing and searching.
I start by having the first typist sit at the computer and make sure
it is at the search screen ready to begin. I place the first card at the
computer face down. After I make sure everyone is ready I have them
begin. I usually do a get ready, get set, go.

The kids really enjoyed this game and even ask to do it after we
have moved on to something else. I don't give prizes because we have
library teams and I simply give them a point for each correct answer.

I will admit that the classroom is not quiet during this activity.
The excitement rises and the students to get excited, but it is usually
a good noise and usually all students are involved.

Pete, I just taught my 4th and 5th grade how to use LibraryPro (our
OPAC). I used the computer lab and did a modeled search for them first.
I focused on when to use which type of search and then they went to the
their machines and found a title *(given clues) by doing a guided search
with me. Finally, they tried one of their own. This was a 2 week lesson.
The next week they came back in the used the program in pairs. I had a
worksheet for them to use filled w/ clues. i.e. This book is about
hamsters and was written by the author of Title given. required them to
identify keywords in the search, to decide which keyword to use first,
then identify the type of search that would need to be done. The
worksheet was specific to each school's library catalog (I work in 3).
So, rather than specifically "teaching" them how to use the OPAC, I
focused on teaching them skills which can be applied in any search.