I'd be vigorously fighting the idea of blocking any search engine. All offer
features that can bring up quality data not accessed
through databases. They are tools for research and like any tool, need practice and
some instruction to get the best use out of
them.

Now consider; how much training and how expert are the NetTrekker selectors; how
often updated, what selection criteria are
implemented, and what is review policy for sites in that database.

I think with some trust, focused practice, training on authoritativeness and
usability, a clear selection rubric, our kids can do a
fine job selecting needed resources. Process, not product; Teach, not block.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School, Vancouver WA
Pac.egreen.wednet.edu/library
Beiffert at egreen wednet edu