After being denied the opportunity to create a library blog site, I tried
setting up this type of system on my library's webpage--- I had just created
a single page to "Make A Suggestion"....it could be anything, including:

    *  asking a question
    *  making a comment
    *  making a request (book, video, materials)
    *  making a complaint

I had everything set-up ready to go....but the technology department nixed
it.  The system is locked down so tight, we would have to open some areas of
the server and they didn't want to do that (and I was told by others later
that they had looked into doing something like this for the whole school but
didn't want to offer this type of program because..."it causes
problems")...???  So, it's a dead project.

In the meantime, I continue telling my students to send me emails (using my
school email address that I can access from home), if they have problems
with something library-related during the day or in the evening at their
home.  I have had several who take advantage of the opportunity to ask
questions about the databases, books, and even homework assignments;
however, I discovered just before the holiday break (when a student was
having a problem with an assignment before finals) that the students are not
allowed (or are discouraged from contacting the teachers).  One student
said, "You're the only teacher who has told us we can contact them at home
through the school's email.  We've been told that we aren't allowed to email
or phone the teachers to ask questions if they are at home."

(This is the first time I'd heard of this....and it's not like I'm teaching
in an asphalt jungle--this is a private school!)  I'm not sure if this is a
perception or the truth--perhaps an unwritten rule--but I've never NOT had
students contact me as a librarian or a teacher, so this is a real
frustration.  I realize that there are issues related to privacy, but by
putting a webpage out there, I had hoped to break down some barriers for
students to get help from at least the librarian!

~Shonda Brisco
MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net