The animals hear higher and lower sounds than we do. And due to evolution
(those ancestors that heard the sounds and left, survived to pass on their
genes) have a built in RUN response to certain frequencies. Plus, they
don't return until all sounds are normal. Unlike people, who go back to
look at the results, and get hit by the next waves.

If you've ever been very close to a lightning hit, you can feel the hit
before or as you hear it.  Those are sonic frequencies that we can't hear.
But many animals can.

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY